- Login to the Student Center
- Navigate to the Personal Information section (bottom of Student Center)
- Click the Names link
- If a preferred name exists, select Edit, otherwise select Add a New Name
- Select Preferred from the pull-down
- Edit the First and Last name fields (and any optional fields desired)
- Enter an effective date
- Click Save and Return to Current Name
For assistance, please contact the Registrar's Office at 415-338-2350 or by visiting SSB 303.
At this time, preferred names will appear on the university directory, class and grade rosters, and the iLearn system. Going forward, the University will attempt to display Preferred Names to the University community wherever feasible and appropriate, and will make a good faith effort to update reports, documents, and systems that are designated to use Preferred Names.
CSU and San Francisco State University staff with an administrative need (e.g. Human Resources, University Police Department, Environmental, Health, & Safety, and Student Health Services) will see both legal and preferred names. Similar to those with access to employment, benefits, and other sensitive information, these staff are trained on the implications of this access.
Instructions for updating your name on Gateway
- Navigate and log in to https://gateway.sfsu.edu/
- Click on Employee services
- Click on the Launch HR Self Service button
- Navigate to My personal information and select Names
- Click the Add a new name button
- Select Preferred from the drop down menu and fill in how you would like your name to appear
- Click the Save button
Click here to learn more about the San Francisco State University Preferred Name Practice Directive.
For assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 415-338-1872 or by visiting ADM 252.