VETERAN STATUS AT A GLANCE:
EXECUTIVE ORDERS 1095/1096/1097
Duty to Report: All employees have a duty to report any incident of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, sexual misconduct, sexual harassment or prohibited consensual relationship.
Prohibited Conduct includes Discrimination, including Harassment, because of any Protected Status, including Veteran or Military Status;
Scope of the Policy: All conduct engaged in by members of the San Francisco State community is covered, even when the conduct is toward members outside of the community (e.g. applicants for a job at SF State, students at other Universities, members of the community who engage with SF State).
- Discrimination means Adverse Action taken against an Employee or Third Party by the CSU, a CSU employee or a Student, because of a Protected Status.
- Adverse Action means an action that has a substantial and material adverse effect on the Complainant's employment or ability to participate in a University program or activity free from Discrimination, Harassment or Retaliation. Minor or trivial actions or conduct not reasonably likely to do more than anger or upset a Complainant does not constitute an Adverse Action.
- Harassment means unwelcome conduct engaged in because of a Complainant’s Protected Status that is sufficiently severe or pervasive that its effect, whether or not intended, could be considered by a reasonable person in the shoes of the Complainant, and is in fact considered by the Complainant, as intimidating, hostile or offensive. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, verbal harassment (e.g., epithets, derogatory comments, or slurs), physical harassment (e.g., assault, impeding or blocking movement, or any physical interference with normal work or movement), and visual forms of harassment (e.g., derogatory posters, cartoons, drawings, symbols, or gestures.)
Examples might include, but are not limited to:
· Assumptions about Mental Health or PTSD
· Stating a “military approach” isn’t a good fit for hiring, appointment, or placement
· Denying accommodation for leave associated with deployment, training, or health