Office of the Ombuds

**The Office of the Ombuds is vacant as of 6/26/20.  Please consider the following resources as alternative options to a visit with the Ombuds:

Human Resources

Emplolyee Assistance Program

Equity Programs and Compliance

Faculty Affairs


An Ombudsperson can consult on all matters of concern or conflict among employees at SF State, regardless of rank, affiliation or union membership.    

In keeping with the International Ombudsman Association's Code of Ethics, consultation with the University Ombudsperson is confidential and does not constitute a formal complaint, although any of the following might be recommendations or options provided by the Ombudsperson:

  • Individual Coaching on resolving a particular matter
  • Mediation between individuals in a conflict
  • Neutral facilitation of a group working through challenging issues
  • Training for a group of people focusing on managing conflict or difficult conversations
  • Consultation and instruction on how to file a formal complaint

For more information on initiatives to address bullying at SF State, please visit our information page for the Anti-Bullying Workgroup.

What is an Ombuds Anyway?


Annual Report 2017-2018

Annual Report 2018-2019

IOA Code of Ethics


The Ombudsperson is independent in structure, function, and appearance to the highest degree possible within the organization.

Neutrality and Impartiality

The Ombudsperson, as a designated neutral, remains unaligned and impartial.  The Ombudsperson does not engage in any situation which could create a conflict of interest.


The Ombudsperson holds all communication with those seeing assistance in strict confidence, and does not disclose confidential communications unless given permission to do so.  The only exception to this privilege of confidentiality is where there appears to be imminent risk of serious harm. 


The Ombudsperson, as an informal resource, does not participate in any formal adjudicative procedure related to concerns brought to their attention.

How/When/Who to contact when a situation arises?

Because the Office of the Ombuds is currently vacant, please consider directing your concerns to the alternative offices listed at the top of this page.

What happens if I need to make a formal complaint?

If, during the course of your consultation, you decide that a formal complaint is the right option for you, you can fill out a complaint form either with Human Resources or with Equity Programs and Compliance.  Once a complaint is filed, the appropriate office will follow the procedure for conducting an intake interview and, if appropriate, following through with the process as outlined by our SF State policies.